When it comes to the use of drilling tools, little knowledge will take you forward to help you prevent any type of injuries and also prolongs the life of the tools. If you use a drill frequently, you should know the basics of using the drill safely and you must have a Safety Training session with professionals.
Drill works can be dangerous and will not be used properly. Every type of drill machine has some type of precaution to be taken care of when using. As drilling machines are the most dangerous hand-operated equipment. Safety training measures can help you eliminate certain accidents, loss of materials, and time. Below are some of the factors to be considered before starting drilling work.
Safety Factors to Remember Before Starting Drilling Work
These tips can also be a guide to train the trainer and the assessors who will be working in personnel in the Drilling Industry.
- Avoiding Baggy Clothes: Wearing loose sleeves or jewellery and even your hair can be hazardous when you operate a drill machine. The spinning action of the cordless machine drill can easily catch and will tangle any loose objects. You should always wear short sleeves and tie your hair.
- Wearing Protective Gears: Wearing safety goggles is always a good idea before starting drill work. Wear a breathing mask if the drilling work produces a lot of dust. Wearing gloves will protect your hands but should not be baggy.
- Secure the piece you will be working on: Ensure that the wood or the piece that you would be working on do not shift while drilling. Clamp it.
- Use of Drill Stand: Drill stands work as a guide to the power drill. A drill stand can be used if you are drilling hard materials like glass or metal.
- Do not make any adjustment when the Drill Machine is operating
- Always use a brush to clean away the dust
- Ensure that the cutting tools are always running straight before you start the drilling work.
- Wear eye protection before you plan to start your drilling work.
Things to Avoid before Starting Drilling Work
You should know the safety training methods before you start your drilling work. Avoid the below to stay safe.
- Don’t set speeds, or adjust or even measure work unless you completely stop the machine
- Do not try to force the drill machine with extra pressure
- Never leave the chuck key in the drill chuck. Remove the key immediately.
- Never hold your work with hand when you drill holes, always secure it with clamps
- Try to place your hands beneath the stock that is being drilled.
- Do not stop the rotation of the chuck and spindle it with your hand
- Never try to remove the broken drill with a hammer
- It is recommended not to leave the drill machine running unattended.
Safe Work Practices to be Aware When Using a Drill Press
- Always wear appropriate safety glasses that are CSA certified
- The Drill machine must have a start and stop button that can be easily reached
- Ensure that the Drill machine as an emergency stop button that is working
- Ensure that you have a shield or guard or a barrier in place and functional condition before starting drilling work.
- If you are drilling metal, always lubricate the drill.
- Always keep the drill bits clean and should be sharp. Dull drills can cause breakage.
- Try to keep your working surface clean from any kind of scrap
- Always keep the guards in the proper place and should be in working order.
You should always consider and utilize comprehensive safety training and follow the safety procedures before starting drilling work. The above factors need to be considered even to Train The Trainer, as training and development is the key to successful work.